Saturday 24 October 2015

Crime and Punishment, collateral damage of the war on drugs

Agentes de la Agencia Antinarcóticos de EE.UU. descargan los 1.280 kilos de cocaína. EFE/Archivo

When 40 years ago the United States took up arms against drugs, criminals retail and alleys disproportionate punishments suffered a blind war, whose collateral damage have faces like Debi Campbell, jailed for 16 years for selling methamphetamine.

"He deserved to go to
prison. I broke the law and, most importantly, I needed to go to prison because I desperately needed something to wake me. But I did not need 20 years to learn the lesson," said Campbell, released since 2010 and has transformed its punishment in the source of a fierce political activism.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks your comment will be highly appreciated